Three happy women and the saddest looking presidential candidate ever.
Original caption: “Pausing to look at the picture of the man they hope is nominated are Mrs. Leon Sunstein, Jr., Mrs. Warren Goff and Mrs. Francis Heed Adler. Majority of ballots cast this year in the election will be by the distaff side.”
William S. Coward, photographer. 7/22/56. Temple University Libraries, Special Collections Research Center, George D. McDowell Philadelphia Evening Bulletin Collection
Still remember where I was when I watched this. I was at my parents house on a Saturday night. I was 19 at the time. My mom, who grew up a Cardinals fan, was sort of rooting for the Cardinals, but her heart didn’t seem to be in it. Perhaps, the Jack Clark homer in the NLCS and the general sour disposition of Whitey Herzog got to her.
Or maybe she was rooting for the Cardinals. It was 29 years ago after all.
Of the four people in this photo, the runner was, at the time, a former Dodger, in Jorge Orta. The pitcher covering first was future Dodger Todd Worrell, And the first baseman in the background was future Dodgers coach Jack Clark.
Orta was called safe to give him a leadoff infield single in the 9th. Steve Balboni followed with another single Jim Sundberg bunted into a force at 3rd.
Then there was a passed ball by Cardinals catcher Darrell Porter. Hal McRae was intentionally walked. And Dane Iorg singled in two runs to win the game.
Just one moment at the reference desk
- Patron: Can you find this book for me. (Hands me piece of paper with name of book and call #). It's a reference book.
- Me: (Looks it up in catalog. Finds the book). Here it is! We hold ID for it.
- Patron: That's not the book I want
- Me: But that was what you asked for. Specifically.
- Patron: No, I know what I want. When I was here before it looked different.
- Me: Well, this is a new edition. Maybe you used the old one.
- Patron: No it had a different title.
- Me: But this is the title you gave me.
- Patron: I don't want this book. Find me the one I used to use!